Skip to content

Confirming your identity with Centrelink

When it comes to applying for a Centrelink entitlement, most people are quickly overwhelmed with the length of the application process.  Various forms take time and effort, and the stress can often make it easy to forget that Centrelink requires additional details including some to confirm your identity.  It is only after they confirm your identity that Centrelink will begin making any payment to you.


If you do not have sufficient identification documents, you will need to apply for them – a process that can take weeks. This can delay or postpone your Centrelink application.


If you intend on applying for a Centrelink entitlement in the near future, we recommend you determine if you have sufficient documentation to prevent delays in the processing of your application.


What does Centrelink require?


Centrelink requires three different forms of documentation (one from each of three different categories) to prove your identify.  These categories are:


  • Commencement of Identity in Australia
  • Primary use identity in Community
  • Secondary use identity in Community


Proving your commencement of identity in Australia is often the most challenging form of identity to provide as Centrelink commonly requires your birth certificate or a valid passport.   If you have not travelled overseas or only have a birth extract or card, you will need to apply for a birth certificate via Births, Deaths, and Marriages. If you were born overseas, it may be mindful to recap on how you arrived and dust off appropriate citizenship papers etc.


The most popular type of primary identity is your driver’s licence or marriage certificate.


The secondary document that most provide to Centrelink is a bank card or passbook.


So, to avoid an extra visit to Centrelink please ensure you have sufficient identification along with your completed application and attachments.  For more information on other identification documents Centrelink  accept, please click here.


Share this post


  1. Sai Prasanthi on August 4, 2020 at 2:01 am

    Is it not possible to have a center link online account set up when the person is living in India and applying for pension?

    • The Muirfield Team on August 5, 2020 at 1:56 pm

      Hi Sai

      Whilst I am not familiar with Centrelink’s policy regarding having an online account whilst overseas, I can’t imagine it would be an issue. If you or someone you know are having issues, I suggest you call MyGov for support. MyGov are the platform that allow you to access Centrelink online.

      I trust this helps

      Al the best


Leave a Comment

Scroll To Top